Children's Talk 

Ephesians 6: 18 (NIV)

And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the Lord's people. 

Since our Pastor has been on Sabbatical, and the pandemic means that we are conducting our Sunday services on Zoom, a few of the congregation have stepped up to deliver children's talks which are usually part of our services. I've just recorded my third one and I've really enjoyed doing it. Unpicking a verse or two, understanding it at your own level, and then trying to explain it to children who are as young as 3 is quite a challenge - but a really good one. I hope that this is something that can continue (though I definitely prefer the comfort of videoing it!) as I've had some really positive feedback. I think it's good for us all to listen to a range of different people when we are learning new things.

So the verse I have explained, which is above, follows on from the armour of God. In Paul's letter to the Ephesians (and he's in prison at the time), he talks about putting on the armour of God so we are prepared to fight the Devil and be protected from his lies. He talks about armour as his readers would've been familiar with the Roman soldiers and the armour they wore. By wearing our armour, we know what the truth is and we can share the gospel with others. But the verse I explained in my video talks about the weapon that God gives us to fight back - and that's prayer. 

One thing I tried to emphasise in my talk (and I'll have to try to put it on this blog!), is that prayer needs to become a habit. Having a set time to pray each day is great, but Paul wants us to develop the habit where we are talking to God about everything at every single opportunity. I'm getting pretty good at this but I waste so many chances to engage in that dialogue. I really hope that my talk for the children touches the hearts of some of the adults that listen too. It's certainly spoken to me. 

EDIT: You'll be sad to know that, when I tried to attach the video, it was too large! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog