I've just finished reading 'Two Weeks' by Karen Kingsbury. She's a Christian fiction writer and I only discovered her when I had a gift voucher to spend at our local Christian bookshop. In the last few months I've read seven of her novels and I plan to read more. 

I'm finding it really refreshing to read a novel where the characters are Christians and their love of Jesus is threaded through their stories. In so many novels, when the main characters are going through their trials and tribulations, they all try to solve their own problems in their own way. Finishing 'Two Weeks' today really made me reflect on what the main characters do when faced with their own trials and tribulations (they have enough of them!) and that's to immediately turn to prayer. It's their first response. I bet that's Karen Kingsbury's first response too. It's not often mine.

My first response when faced with a problem is to consider what I need to do to fix it. Me. All about me. Me first. Not God. Yes, at some point I seek His wisdom and His guidance but it's rarely my first response. That needs to change. I need to change. 

The second observation I made during reading the book regarded the mother of the main character. Ashley's son, Cole, is the one with the problem. She says that the greatest gift she can give her son is to pray for him. How amazing and powerful is that? It made me think how rarely I pray for my son. Yes, I do pray for him but not daily. That needs to change. I need to change. 

These musings are really for my benefit. I want to be able to look back and see my own spiritual growth. 

Lord, help me seek your wisdom and your guidance in every aspect of my life as my first response. In my daily prayers, put my boy on my heart. I know he belongs to you and he is just on loan to me but help me to give him the powerful gift of my prayers.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog